A Pet is Part of the Family and has the following rights.
- 1.We have the right to be full members of your family. We thrive on social interaction, praise, and love.
- 2.We have the right to stimulation. We need new games, new toys, new experiences, and new smells to be happy.
- 3.We have the right to regular exercise. Without it, we could become hyper, sluggish...or fat.
- 4.We have the right to have fun. We enjoy acting like clowns now and then; don't expect us to be predictable all the time.
- 5.We have the right to quality health care. Please stay good friends with our vet!
- 6.We have the right to a good diet. Like some people, we don't know what's best for us. We depend on you.
- 7.We have the right not to be rejected because of your expectations that we be great show dogs, watchdogs, hunters, or baby-sitters.
- 8.We have the right to receive proper training. Otherwise, our good relationship could be marred by confusion and strife and we could become dangerous to ourselves and others.
- 9.We have the right to guidance and correction based on understanding and compassion, rather than abuse.
- 10.We have the right to live with dignity...and to die with dignity when the time comes.
Commitment, Firmness, but kindness.
A Pet is Part of the Family
by David the Dogman
David is a Canine Behaviourist who works and lives in Marbella, Spain. Tel/Fax (00345) 2883388. His web site is located at: www.thedogman.net. David has his own radio and TV shows, and writes for many newspapers and magazines. David has been working with dogs for many years and started his career in Israel, working on the Border Police. He has been involved in all forms of training, including air sea rescue, air scent work, and has trained dogs for finding drugs. David has devoted the past 10 years to studying behaviour and the very passive approach. He does not use choke chains, check chains, or any form of aggression.