DogBreedz.com homepage All for the Love of Dogz!
below Homepage of DogBreedz.com Dog Breed Directory Send a Free Ecard Contact Us bone
 

Things You Should Never Feed Your Dog

 paw icon  Join our Webring!
 paw icon  Fun 'n' Games
 paw icon  Breed Directory
 paw icon  Free Dog Ecards
 paw icon  Photoz of Friendz
 paw icon  Dog Articles
 paw icon  14,265 Dog Names
 paw icon  Links Directory
 paw icon  Send us a Photo
Search DogBreedz.com
Search Google



Things You Should Never Feed Your Dog


*Please note that this article does not necessarily reflect the opinions and views of DogBreedz.com. As in all matters related to your dog, please use your better judgement.

Go Back

Things You Should Never Feed Your Dog
by Ryan Joseph

Sadly, there are several household items which we tend to  take for granted that are potentially very hazardous to your dog's health. It is especially important to be aware of this because as  you know, dogs are very much scavengers and will often eat whatever  they can sink their fangs into. I would say that may own dog is more  like a mobile garbage disposal. It is also very important to be aware of  these items  since their sense of smell is so well developed that your pooch will be  able to find what you may think is well hidden.

One of these dangerous household items, it turns out, is simple  chocolate. While chocolate has been reported recently to be high in  human-friendly antioxidants,  it appears to be potentially lethal for our pets, and particularly for  our dogs. Cats are mostly unaffected since they do not care for the  taste of chocolate, but dogs tend to  be crazy about it. Certain breeds of dogs react indifferently to  chocolate. The root of the problem is that chocolate contains  various  chemicals which are called methylxanthine alkaloids (some types have more of  these chemicals than others).

Sadly, relatively miniscule amounts of these chemicals are capable of  causing such serious problems as constriction of the arteries and an  increased heart rate. Large amounts may cause even more dire symptoms and  a pound of milk chocolate could possibly kill a sixteen pound dog. If you find that your dog has eaten chocolate then by all means take  note of the it's type and try to estimate the amount eaten. Then get on  the phone with a veterinarian or an emergency facility. Be sure that your  children know how important it is to keep chocolate out of your dog's  reach.

If you are not aware that your dog has consumed chocolate, the  consequences could be severe. If consumption is not found within 4 to 6 hours  without the right treatment, cardiac failure, seizures, coma and death  could result, according to veterinarian Dr. Jane Bicks. In addition to seemingly innocent chocolate, there are a number of  other common household items that may seem safe for our dogs but that can  be downright dangerous.

Some mushrooms, for example, can produce abdominal pain, liver and  kidney damage and anemia. So be aware of wild mushrooms when you are out  walking your dog in wooded areas. Garlic may seem benign but can cause  vomiting, liver damage, anemia and diarrhea so do not give your pet baby  food since it can contain garlic.

Anti-freeze can shut down your dog's kidney and they tend to love the  taste. Mistletoe can cause vomiting, abdominal pain and depression.  Onions can cause liver damage, anemia and diarrhea. Onion can also sometimes  be found in baby food. Cats are actually somewhat more sensitive to  this one so keep out of the reach of both.

Coffee, like cocoa, is especially dangerous, and may cause heart rate  increase, diarrhea, seizures, coma, death. Caffeine just does not have  the same effect in dogs.

When outside be careful around apple and cherry trees. While the fruit  is safe, the leaves and roots are not.

And be very careful about Moth Balls. It's primary chemical naphthalene  is extremely toxic to dogs and can result in tremors and seizures. Concerning dog food, you should be looking for dyes  and other chemicals, according to Dr. Jane  BHA, for instance, which is one of the main synthetic  antioxidant preservatives used to prevent food  discoloration,  has been observed to cause cancer in laboratory  rats at certain doses. Small doses are as yet unclear but since dog  food is eaten every day caution is advised. Many conventional dog food brands have large quantities of sodium to  make them palatable, and this can be quite harmful to a dog.  Other ingredients to wary of are dairy, by-products, chemical  preservatives and artificial colors.

Things You Should Never Feed Your Dog
by Ryan Joseph

Ryan Joseph is a write and researcher of Pet health issues.

Go Back

*Please note that this article does not necessarily reflect the opinions and views of DogBreedz.com. As in all matters related to your dog, please use your better judgement.

 
Home / Breed Directory / Send an Ecard - Pickup Ecard - Pickup Personal Ecard / Photoz of your Friendz (Send us a Photo)
 Dog Articles / Dog Names / Links Directory / Link to Us / Join Webring / 
Fun 'n' Games / Submit a Site / FAQ / Contact Us / Site Map / 

All for the Love of Dogz !
All Work Copyright 2017

Site Design & Hosting by
Site Design by Nrg Web Design